Merely four days of hiding from authorities pursuing to arrest him over last year’s killing of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe, a beleaguered Daraga Mayor Carlwyn Baldo finally surrendered on Friday Baldo, accompanied by his family and a lawyer, turned himself in to Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa San Juan Loquillano around 8:30 a.m. and was afterwards committed to the Legazpi City jail two hours later.
Vicente “Tito” Sotto III Senate President of the Philippines on Thursday stated that Malacañang and several tagged in the hypothetical oust-Duterte matrix should have not made a big deal out of a “piece of paper.” “You can come up with any matrix that you want. It’s a piece of paper, it does not mean a thing. Pinapatulan kasi (It’s being made a big deal). You should have dismissed it e,”
A head of President Rodrigo Duterte’s economic team said Wednesday that the S&P Global’s upgrade of the Philippines’ credit rating is a “green light” for more investments in the country. Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez stated that the upgrade to one notch below the minimum “A” rating will allow the government and Filipino companies to borrow at lower interest. Adding it was a “definitive win” for the government, “The upgrade is
Duterte recently signed into a law a measure that pursues to institutionalize energy conservation and efficiency in the country or the Republic Act 11285 or the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Act on April 12. An Inter-agency Energy Efficiency and Conservation Committee were to be created to evaluate and approve government energy efficiency projects and provide strategic direction in the implementation of the Government Energy Management Program, which aims to reduce
The nation aims to speed up state spending growth to about 15 percent in the months ahead after a contraction in the first quarter due to a budget delay. Budget Assistant Secretary Rolando Toledo, 55, said in an interview on Thursday, “We’re confident the implementation of the catch-up plan will help boost growth,” Government agencies are to submit revised monthly spending plans including “shovel ready” projects as the department maps
Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) officially launched the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) of the Expanded Maternity Leave Act, which grants mothers over 3 months of paid leave. The signing of the IRR came more than two months after President Rodrigo Duterte signed Republic Act No. 11210 or the Expanded Maternity Leave Act last February 22. Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III signed the IRR on Wednesday, May 1, on
Department of Finance (DOF) urges the private sector to participate in more infrastructure projects aimed at improving the country’s ports and building more terminals around the country. Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III encouraged Asian Terminals Inc. (ATI) and its shareholder Dubai’s DP World to participate in the infrastructure projects of the government during a speech on Monday at the inauguration of Berth 2 of the Batangas Container Terminal (BCT).
Chuzon Supermarket’s structural design which seems to be constructed adding four floors instead of the intended two, was found out to have contributed in its weak resistance to the 6.1-magnitude earthquake that hit Luzon last April 22. It was revealed that the Chuzon building in Porac town was only built four years ago. “I asked around and this could be because of the structural design of the supermarket. It is
Philippine Ambassador to China Jose Santiago Sta. Romana said on Wednesday that Chinese authorities have deported illegal Filipino workers last year. “Last year, I think our figure is about more than a thousand were deported by the Chinese,” he noted. Sta. Romana was unable to deliver the exact number of illegal Filipinos living in China, “They’re not registered and because we only know when they surrender or they’re caught by
San Juan City police have detained a businessman who murdered his both brother and a woman, and shot another woman on Tuesday night, April 23. police chief Colonel Ariel Fulo of San Juan City stated on Wednesday that Roberto Bañez, 59, was presently held at the San Juan police headquarters’ detention cell. Suspect faced charges of double murder, frustrated murder, and violation of the election gun ban. That Tuesday night,